22-year-old man has died after being electrocuted while charging his mobile phone on Monday night (local time).
The victim, identified by some media outlets as Thirawat Khuensungnoen, was reportedly waiting for a visit from his mother in his northern Thailand apartment.
His mother later found her son motionless in his apartment, still holding the charging phone.
The victim was found with severe burn marks on his hands, according to Thai police. It hasn’t been reported what type of phone the man was using.
An autopsy found the 22-year-old had died between three and five hours before his body was discovered.
The Sun reports the man was also found with an extension cable.
This latest incident follows a string of electrocutions caused by charging phones. In February Kritsada Supol, 24, was electrocuted in Thailand after using his earphones while charging his Samsung phone with a cheap cable. Burn marks were found around his ears.
A Brazilian student was also killed by electrocution last year. She reportedly was also charging her phone while listening to music through earphones.
Authorities have issued warnings regarding the dangers of cheap chargers. Poor quality, faulty, or cheap knock-off chargers with defective wiring have a higher risk of malfunctioning, which can cause electrocution through the cables.
Authorities and phone companies recommend using the authentic, designated charger for the phone model. It is recommended to never charge a mobile while in or near water. Authorities also suggest staying away from chargers or extension cords with frayed wires.
It is also suggested to stay away from or throw away knock-off versions of smartphone chargers.
As a safety precaution, it is recommended not to use earbuds while charging your phone.
A study from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute in the U